Friday, September 7, 2007

Day 10 Coup d'état and Coup de grâce or...

For those of you that know me or think you understand me...let me give you something to chew on. If you are familiar with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, you'll also know that the foundation of Maslow's triangle is based on basic needs. The first two are physiological and safety needs, like hmmm, eating and a place to live. The third is basically all about love, belonging and sex. Level 4 is all about what a person needs from others, like self esteem, recognition, affirmation. Number 5 is self actualization. Self actualization is really defined as reaching one's fullest potential, stuff like you embrace the facts and realities of the world rather than denying or avoiding them, you are spontaneous in your ideas and actions, you are creative, you feel a closeness to other people, and generally appreciate life, you have morality, you are able to view all things in an objective manner.

So what does this all mean to me. I know it to be true that according to Maslow the happiest people attain all levels of his hierarchy. I know I have given up level 1 and 2 in trade for 3 and 4, which of course has kept me from achieving level 5 completely.

So bingo! That is what my problem has and will always be folks unless I get with the program TODAY! I give up my basic needs for all the needs of level 3 and 4... I have been doing it ALL my life. So, I understand now that when I flip out about change, or losing a person in my life...or more, it's because I have been confusing levels 3 and 4 with 1 and 2. No foundation, house falls down...make sense?

Too early for this shit...

No comments: